Children can find just about anything on the Internet. However, do they really need to exposed to wealth of adult content on the net? If you are a parent the answers is probably no. One of the biggest concerns for many parents is how to block porn and adult content on the home computer. Before Vista introduced new ways to block porn and adult content. The ability to filter on line content was only moderately effective in Windows. However, Windows’ Vista operating system has introduced a successful version of parental control features. The new features allows the administrator or parent the ability of restrict areas, websites, usage time and block porn sites from popping up in your browser. This article will give you a quick and easy crash course on how to use the parental control features and effectively block porn.
A web filter is a software option that allows you to categorically choose what online content can be accessed on your computer. The software works by prohibiting access to sites with adult content such as specific keywords, images, files and IP addresses. The features also prohibits these sites from being loaded into your web browser via pop up or invite. Vista has a java script reader which can block porn spam and block porn ads from automatically being loaded while online. Recent features like this gives parents more control of their children are exposed to online.
How to Block Porn Websites with Vista’s Web Filter
1. Click the Windows button and the click the “Control Panel”.
2. Under “User accounts and Family Safety”, click the “Parental Controls”.
3. Choose account you would would like to restrict.
4. Select the option labeled “On” for “enforce current settings” under “Parental Controls”
5. Click Windows Vista Web Filter link.
6. Select the option “Block some websites and content”.
7. You can set up a list of “allowed” websites and use custom restrictions.
This options allows you to specifically choose which sites are accessed. You can also increase the global settings by blocking content categorically. You can do so by raising the web restrictions.
1. Load the Parental controls window by following step 1-3 above.
2. On the left hand side under the user account name, click the options next to “Web Restrictions”.
3. You can raise or lower the restriction settings.
4.Choose custom to select which categories you would like to block automatically.
Not only can Vista’s options block porn, they can help you to control your child’s surfing time and monitor activity. You can generate a report from the Parental Control screen by simply clicking the “view activity” link. This feature will give you a breakdown of the user’s net activity. It can be very difficult to set time limits on your children’s Internet usage. Vista makes this job a bit easier by offering the administrator the ability to set net time limits. After the set time period is up, the user will no longer be able to access the net.
1. After loading the Parental Control window, click “Time Limits”.
2. In the grid, click on any of the white “time squares” you wish to restrict.
3. Turn all the white “time squares” to blue in order to deactivate the Internet for those times.
Is Vista’s Parental Control a hundred percent effective tool to block porn and filter adult content? The answer is no. However, parents’ fears can be alleviated by using these features effectively to block porn and adult content, monitor usage, and set time limits. There are third party filters that also do this job more effectively. The new advanced features offered by other monitoring software are emergency email notification if the computer restrictions are broken, remote control of the home computer from anywhere, video playback of usage time, and key stroke recording. These are handy for outsmarting teenagers who are usually tech savvy or if you need to monitor your child’s email and chatting. But, for the younger kids, you may not need these options. If you want to read about advanced monitoring software options check out internet security page. Overall, configuring Vista’s parental controls to filter content and block porn is a breeze. The system allows you the ability to ensure that their net surfing time is safe and under your supervision.